Many businesses choose Selenium for testing web applications. It’s interesting to note that Selenium supports a wide range of programming languages for automation testing. Selenium web driver automation allows you to run cross-browser automation tests.
In this article, we’ll highlight the top 5 programming languages you should consider for selenium web driver browser automation.
Python is a high-level, open-source scripting language that is user-friendly. The complexity of the syntax is minimal as compared to other programming languages.
- Python is widely used in many areas, including network programming, web development, mobile app development, GUI development, and even game development. But Python also has advantages over Selenium.
- Automation testing and cross-browser testing on desktop and mobile devices becomes easier with the Python Selenium and Appium web driver browser automation
- The most well-known Python testing frameworks are PyUnit and Pytest
Java reigns supreme when it comes to domination in the programming world. Given that it has existed for a very long period, it is well-liked and has a promising future.
- Java is also used to create a range of open-source automation testing frameworks.
- Selenium WebDriver and JUnit are frequently used for automated browser testing of web products (websites/web applications).
- It provides security and enjoys powerful support from a sizable developer community.
The object-oriented programming language C# was developed from Java and C++. Test automation programs that run on the Android, Windows, and iOS platforms work well with C# as the programming language.
Many automation testers prefer to use C# for cross-browser testing and automation testing because of its robust features and interoperability with Selenium WebDriver.
The primary characteristics of C# are listed below.
- It facilitates the creation of console, Windows, and web-based applications.
- It is an object-oriented programming language.
- It offers attributes like polymorphism, inheritance, and encapsulation.
Ruby contains code for all Selenium-compatible browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and Internet Explorer
- Ruby can be used in connection with Selenium. One of the best methods to do so is, by utilizing the selenium-web driver gem.
- Ruby and Selenium are easy to learn. With just a few lines of code, you can run the main cross-browser test using Selenium WebDriver & Ruby.
Also, selenium itself is written in Java language. Most of the small scale, as well as big MNCs, prefer java for automation testing. Altogether, Java language allows for the most advanced automation.